Friday, 23 July 2010

Building & Maintaining Relationships

Recently I was driving to Cheadle thinking about how we make friends. I was thinking about this in the context of church and how we build relationships with the wider community.

As a youth worker whether you are based in a faith or non faith context you have a set of National Occupational Standards, a manual for operation if you like. One of these emphasises that we are to build and maintain relationships with young people. As the Youth and Ministry Placement Manager at a Theological College I encourage students and assess them on their ability to do this with both young people and adults.

I was thinking about the operation manual idea and how as a Christian I have the ultimate manual and in my manual there is an emphasis on 'making disciples of all nations' (Matthew 28:19). I don't think this can be done without building and maintaining relationships with people. Jesus himself is relational, He spent time with people, He ate with people, He told stories to explain about His Father - He made disciples.

And that brings me back to the original thought, this is how we reach the wider community!
(I should drive to Cheadle more often :-)

So if we are called to it, and Jesus did it, what are we doing about it??

Food Review:-
Lemon Muffins ****
Shortbread ***
Flapjacks ****
Sausages (not homemade) Off the scale :-)
Lasangna ****
Steak in Mushroon Sauce**


TV Review:-
Glee ***
Identity ***

Castle ****
Lie to me ****

3 comments:

hs said...

Good thinking Heidi! You must be on the same wavelength as Andy, he spoke on this recently.

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

Nice post young Heidi. Like the blog makeover too!

Roswell2themax said...

Thank you both.

Auntie Helen :-) We are in Yorkshire over the summer and wondered whether we could meet up?

Love and hugs
xx

Observations of life, the universe and random happenings