Wednesday, 8 October 2008

Self Esteem!

Self esteem is a funny thing - it is something that I have been pondering over the last few days. I look at my friends, family and acquaintances and so many of them (myself included) say comments like 'I am not good enough', 'I am not as pretty as...', 'I could never do that'. We live in a world where the media dictates what looks good, what is normal and what is successful. The media has got it so wrong.

Everyone of my friends, family and the people I have met have been successful, success is not defined by a job or by how much money you have, success is so much more than that. I look around me and see amazing successes - strength in coming through horrendous times, getting something you have always wanted, living out a dream (however big or small), looking after children, raising money for a cause, being happy and content with what you have. These are all successes and there are so many more.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder - who are we to comment on what is pretty. You don't have to be on the front of a magazine to be pretty, you don't have to plaster on make-up to be pretty, or have the latest fashionable look to be pretty. Again the media have got it wrong. We are all beautiful in a way that is unique to us.

We see each other come through some situations and we catch ourselves thinking 'I don't think I could do that'. Well you don't know till you are in the situation. We all have amazing strength that we don't know is there until it is put to the test.

I came to the conclusion after thinking these things that - we need to be ourselves and live life on purpose, we can't let it just happen to us and around us, and we can't waste it.

Alcohol Units 1, Cigarettes 0, Cheese consumed lots, Calories -getting there , Pounds gained 0, Pounds lost 0, hours spent in the Trafford Centre 5!

4 comments:

D Baynham said...

God made us in his image, so taking God at his/her word, (God is neither male or female) hence he made you and he made me in his/her image) then we must be beautiful as God is perfect and we are made to resemble him/her.
We each have self esteem issues and this is because we the flaws in our own lives and bodies, the challenge is getting over these and overcoming these issues. Something’s we can do something about, like my big belly, other things we can’t or shouldn’t.
I was watching a programme in discovery about disorders and a young about 12 was having plastic surgery? She hadn’t even grown fully and was undergoing facial surgery? She was a pretty girl but thought her nose was too big? Her mother said...well it’s what she wants...the surgeon, well it will help with her esteem????
I blame magazines and Hollywood, a size 0 will get you in movies a size 2 and you are too fat????
No wonder girls as young as 8 are now reported with Anorexia and Bulimia.
When we can get magazines to use models with some curves ;-) and a figure maybe it will stop that need to be “dead” thin.

Ohh I’ll get off me soapbox now.......sorry

Teapot said...

You have a new week coming up, new house, job interview, new life in Manchester, and you stand right on the threshhold............You have the strength to make it, as you have come so far already.
You can be yourself and now have the opportunity to open another door, and be part of another community. Albeit one with a different accent, different even to Rossendale....;-0 nothing is quite like that accent!!
So, take courage, and go into next week with a sense of walking into somewhere that is right for you.

A new chapter will begin, even in the sadness of the old. He will always be with you wherever you are,and in time you will remember him with a smile, and go on. Not easy, I know, but as I said somewhere, he lives on in each of us. Always.
Much love
Mumx

Roswell2themax said...

Thank you both. I agree Dave the media have a lot to answer for. Children of 8 are still growing!!

Mum, yes every day is a new day, and although Matt is not in it physically he is there in our hearts.

xx

Madame Nom de Plume said...

Responding to English Blogger re:

''I blame magazines and Hollywood, a size 0 will get you in movies a size 2 and you are too fat????
No wonder girls as young as 8 are now reported with Anorexia and Bulimia.''

I understand your point, but I tend to disagree with your statement that would suggest magazines and Hollywood are to blame for Anorexia and Bulimia.

Both of these serious eating disorders stem from something deeper, usually control.
Children and plastic surgery debacles are further proof that human being are becoming increasingly self aware at much younger ages. Why is that.....I agree that the media do to an extent have extensive sway with our popular culture, however how much are WE to blame?

I point out at this point that I am not a size 0 by any stretch of the imagination(!) but I regularly pour over the pages of Vogue and Elle, looking at styles and shapes.

I do not buy into the Hollywood lifestyle nor delude myself that having that elfin hair-cut will give me a chizzled jawline à la Cate Blanchett but 10 years ago I did! Over a period of years I came to understand who I was, what my body did and love the bits that I like and work at the other bits that I could change (a work in long progress) the rest of it- forget it! Lets face it, there will always be someone taller, blonder, slicker, toned and every other pretty adjective under the sun. Have you seen the wedding sketch by Peter Kay- the part where he talks about bitchy women at weddings, in a nutshell that is my point here. For me- the sooner OTHER WOMEN stop putting pressure on the rest of us to tone up suck in and diet your way to depression, the sooner we can establish what those issues behind the Self-Esteem issues are and work towards a more balanced life!

Okies, long rant over (subject I'm quite passionate about- can you tell :P)

Observations of life, the universe and random happenings